Cheyney

Originally, Cheyney was located at the intersection of what is now Creek and Cheyney Roads. The original Cheyney's Shop dated from the mid 18th century. The original Cheyney Post Office was located there as well as the general store, hotel, blacksmith shop and wheelsmith's shop.The Cheyney Family originally owned nearly 10,000 acres.

William Cheyney was the first postmaster in 1835. When the railroad came through Cheyney, the post office was moved. The last remaining portion of the Cheyney's Shops are on the north east corner of Creek and Cheyney Roads.  These buildings consisted of a Hotel, General Store/Post Office and Blacksmiths shop as well as a large bank barn. A stone Wheelwrights shop is located on the opposite corner and still survive today. These structures were purchased in 1847 from the Cheyney Family by William Maison. The wheel wright shop operated until 1918 when Samuel W. Maison, son of William Maison, died. 

Cheyney crosses the border between Thornbury Township in Chester County and Thornbury Township in Delaware County. These townships were originally one township, which were divided when Delaware County split from Chester County in 1789. Both township offices are located along Cheyney Road next to the university.

Cheney University is located in Cheney.

See more by clicking on the Market Insider Tab on the home page. Enter the zip code 19319